"Self-Help Development Projects and Conceptions of Independence in Lesotho, 1950s-1970s" International Journal of African Historical Studies 50:1 (2017) 11-33
"Introduction: Localizing the History of Development in Africa" International Journal of African Historical Studies 50:1 (2017) 1-9 (co-authored with Leslie Hadfield)
- Development, Politics, and the Centralization of State Authority in Lesotho, 1960-75 Journal of African History 55:3 (2014) 401-421. Copyright held by Cambridge University Press. Abstract here.
Homemakers, Communists and Refugees: Smuggling Anti-Apartheid Refugees in Rural Lesotho in the 1960s and 1970s, Wagadu: A Journal of Transnational Women's and Gender Studies 13 (2015): 183-209
Conference Papers and Other Presentations
(I no longer keep these up to date, so if you want a full record, please see my CV)
- November 2013: "A “Pathetic Contentment?” Rhetoric and Realities of Development in Lesotho, 1966-70." African Studies Association Meeting, Baltimore, MD.
- April 2013: "Development, Politics and Public Perceptions of Independence in Late 1960s Lesotho." North Eastern Workshop on Southern Africa, Burlington, VT.
- November 2012: "Foreign Assistance, “Nation-Building” and the Complicated History of Development in Lesotho." African Studies Association meeting, Philadelphia, PA.
- October 2012: "Homemakers, Communists and Refugees: Smuggling Anti-Apartheid Refugees in Rural Lesotho in the 1960s and 1970s." Race, Resistance, Reason Conference, Cortland, NY
- February 2012: "Faith, Nationalism and the Liberation Struggle in Southern Africa, 1960-76." Black History Month Presentation, SUNY Cortland.
- October 2011: "Transnational Migrants in a Colonial World; Basotho Identity Claims in 1950s Southern Africa." North Eastern Workshop on Southern Africa, Burlington, VT
- November 2010: "Making Matches: Youth, Consciousness and Political Ideas in Lesotho, 1952-70." African Studies Association meeting, San Francisco, CA.
- October 2010: "Political and Social Change in Lesotho, 1945-1960." Dissertation Writer's Workshop, Washington University in St. Louis
- March 2010: "Forming and Reforming Basotho Identity, 1820s-1909." Dissertation Writer's Workshop, Washington University in St. Louis
- October 2009: "Quietly Radical: Basotho Youth and the 1960s." Michigan State University Africanist Graduate Student Research Conference
- April 2009: "Quietly Radical: Basotho Youth and the 1960s." National University of Lesotho Faculty of Humanities Seminar Series in conjunction with the Institute of Southern African Studies
- November 2006: "'Without Exchange There is No Society': Negotiating Dress and Ideology at a Quaker Mission in Kenya." Washington University in St. Louis Dissertation Writer's Workshop